Tuesday, November 01, 2005

RadRails - A Ruby on Rails IDE

I've installed the of 0.4 version of RadRails. It seems to be a simplified version of the Eclipse IDE but customized toward Ruby & Rails development work. If you're a Java person and used to using Eclipse, this seems like a no-brainer to get up and running with Rails. My only caveat is that it may not be a good long term IDE for learning ruby and rails. This is not so much because of the IDE itself, as there hasn't been a Ruby IDE that competes. Rather it's that you may not break out of some Javathink as soon. But that's pure speculation on my part.

http://www.radrails.org/

Regarding upcoming IDE news for Ruby, ActiveState is doing quite a bit of work to support Ruby in their Komodo IDE. I'm looking forward to it.

http://blogs.activestate.com/activestate/2005/10/activestate_a_r.html

I've gotten fairly used to TextMate and VIM on my Powerbook, but it would be wonderful to have some intelligence helping me out with dynamic languages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home